The first school in Dixonville was built of logs by the people who settled there. They named the school New Prairie School and opened it in the fall of 1931. The inside décor of the school was sparse. Tar paper was used for blackboards, the desks were homemade and a big barrel was made into a wood burning heater. On the very cold days, the children and teacher would all gather around the heater and try to keep warm while they had their lessons.
From 1931 to 1934, children either walked or rode horses to school. Farm children walked as far as five miles to get to school. In 1934, the population to the south increased and a van was hired to transport the children to school. The Peace River School Division built a one-room lumber school in 1940. This school was used for Grades 1 to 6 and the old log school was used for Grades 7 to 11. Additional classrooms were added as the school population continued to grow. In 1958, the school had a staff of 10 teachers. It had nine classrooms, an auditorium, one principal’s office, one staff room, two storage rooms and a small kitchen. In 2001, the school was the subject of a major modernization project that has dramatically improved the learning environment and the overall beauty and climate of the school. Each classroom is equipped with four LAN computers and a TV/VCR. A CTS facility is available and equipped to allow the school to offer construction, mechanics, agriculture, design, communications and electronics modules.
School is open